More than half of the infants in the United States participate in the WIC Program. Since 1996, the WIC Program has provided support and resources for breastfeeding moms via USDA's National Breastfeeding Promotion and Support Campaign (Loving Support © Makes Breastfeeding Work). As a key audience of this campaign and a core member of the health care team in a variety of settings, the RDN is poised to connect pregnant and breastfeeding moms to the care they need. Join this dynamic conversation and get a sneak peak of upcoming new research in the area of WIC breastfeeding.
CPE Level: 2
- Articulate the strategies of the Loving Support © Makes Breastfeeding Work campaign, its target audiences, and roles for RDNs.
- Recognize how the campaign has and will continue to be adapted based on a 2011 Institute of Medicine Report and subsequent ongoing research
- Implement breastfeeding promotion and support partnership activities with the WIC Program.
- Kathleen Pellechia, RD is a nutrition and health informatics consultant. She has over 12 years of experience working with the WIC Program of the U.S. Department of Agriculture as the electronic resources coordinator for the WIC Works Resource System. The WIC Works Resource System is the national online education and training center for WIC Program Staff. It also houses the USDA's National Breastfeeding Promotion and Support Campaign, Loving Support © Makes Breastfeeding Work. In addition to her work with USDA, she serves as a social media manager and blog writer for a number of small communications businesses. She has managed a number of federal, state and local nutrition and health communications initiatives – with a strong emphasis on women's health. She is member of the Academy's Consumer Informatics Workgroup and is a past chair of the Women's Health Dietetic Practice Group.
- Valery Soto, MS, RD, CLC, is a senior nutritionist with the national office of the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) at the Food and Nutrition Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. In her role as senior nutritionist, she works on a team that develops national policy and provides technical guidance in the areas of nutrition education, infant and toddler nutrition and breastfeeding promotion and support. Valery has also completed the coursework and passed the exam for the title of Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC). She is currently serving as the project manager for the 3 year cooperative agreement with Hager Sharp Inc. to update the USDA's National Breastfeeding Campaign, "Loving Support Makes Breastfeeding Work."
Please note: Webinar recording and information will be sent via the Professional Development's Hightail account in 48-72 business hours.