This products is free for those who attended FNCE® 2019.
In this era of heightened public focus on protein across the food supply chain, the spectrum of protein-rich choices continues to expand. Each protein source brings its own nutrient mix, marketing and consumption trends, food safety considerations, and regulatory oversight. This session will take a deep dive into today's expanding protein environment and what the protein world of the future might bring in terms of current and potential new sources, production methods, environmental impact, regulations, and other nuances that nutrition professionals need to know to address questions from farm to table and beyond.
Planned with the Committee for Lifelong Learning
CPE Level: 2- Intermediate
Learning Need Codes: 2070, 8018, 2020
- 7.2.6 Identifies and promotes sustainable, resilient, healthy food to staff, customers and public.
- 8.1.2 Applies knowledge of food and nutrition as well as the biological, physical and social sciences in practice.
- 8.1.3 Integrates knowledge of macronutrients and micronutrients for absorption, digestion and metabolism throughout the life span in practice.
- Summarize the protein landscape and unique nutrient package of animal and plant protein food sources, present and future
- Compare the regulatory and food safety environment and considerations for animal and plant protein foods
- Describe diet modeling scenarios to determine the impact of increasing or decreasing different types of protein sources on nutrient adequacy
- Kimberly Kirchherr, MS, RDN, LDN, CDE, FAND, ACSM-CPT
Mindy Hermann, MBA, RDN
- Eric Mittenthal, MS
- Mickey Rubin, PhD