The role of the RDN in the assessment and management of micronutrient deficiencies as part of a multidisciplinary team needs elucidated to both new and senior practicing RDNs and educators of dietetic students. Research supports that many dietitians do not feel adequately trained in assessment and management of micronutrient deficiencies and physicians not only lack education in nutritional management but also face significant time constraints.
This session convenes a practicing physician working in a multidisciplinary clinic alongside an RDN who assists in the management of micronutrient deficiencies; a director of academic affairs at a large university to discuss curriculum requirements to enhance teaching of this competency; an RDN working in clinical practice managing micronutrient deficiencies in a multidisciplinary clinic and; an RDN who teaches medical nutrition therapy to dietetic students.
This group of experts will analyze case studies and a standardized patient demonstration video (based on the Innovations in Nutrition and Dietetics Practice and Education Poster Session Winner bestowed by the Academy's Council on Future Practice) to demonstrate tactics to enhance practice.
CPE Level: Level 2
- 2.2.4 Collaborates with others when the required skill is beyond his/her competence.
- 10.4.4 Makes recommendations for the appropriate use of vitamin and mineral supplementation in the management of health and disease.
- 8.1.4 Demonstrates knowledge of nutrient requirements throughout the life span and their role in health promotion and disease management.
- Critique the role of the RDN in the management of micronutrient deficiencies and devise steps to improving micronutrient management.
- Identify risk factors for micronutrient deficiency, approaches to management of micronutrient status, and resources available to RDNs in order to improve competency in micronutrient management
- Reproduce and adapt an established micronutrient protocol within various institutions.
- Kristen Roberts
- Marcia Nahikian-Nelms
- Holly Estes-Doetsch
- Phil Hart