This session will provide preceptors with an overview of competency-based education and how it can enhance the preparation of students for future nutrition and dietetics practice. The role of the preceptor as a coach and mentor in a competency-based, integrative approach to educating future nutrition and dietetics professionals will be explored. Two programs will share their strategies and innovative best practices to train preceptors. A sample participatory approach to creating a program based, preceptor-student-instructor collaboration will be presented along with a video demonstrating how to use motivational interviewing in coaching a struggling student.
CPE Level: Level 2
- 3.2.1 Advocates for, and participates in, activities that support advancement of the profession.
- 3.1.5 Seeks opportunities for, and actively engages in, mentoring and mentorship.
- 9.4.2 Selects and uses appropriate content and teaching methods to meet individual and group needs.
- List the basic principles of competency-based education
- Understand the role of the preceptor as a coach and mentor in the Future Education Model programs
- Identify opportunities for collaboration and mentoring in competency-based education
- Gina Pazzaglia
- Dawn Clifford