This product is free for those who attended FNCE® 2018.
Hypertension is known to many as the "silent killer," and it affects 29% of the adult population in the United States. The disease state is often associated with physical inactivity, increased adiposity and sedentary lifestyle choices. However, many athletic populations, including both recreational and professional athletes, have hypertension. This session will provide an up-to-date overview of the pathophysiology of hypertension, recommendations for medical nutrition therapy, and practical applications of nutrition recommendations across the lifespan in athletic populations - adolescent, adult, and master's athletes - with hypertension.
CPE Level: 2
Learning Codes: 3020, 6040, 8110
- Describe the pathophysiology of hypertension in athletic population.
- Discuss the updates to evidence based guidelines for hypertension.
- Prepare nutrition recommendations for hypertensive athletic populations across the lifespan (adolescent, adult, and master's athletes).
- Dr. Jackie Buell, PhD, RD, CSSD, AT
- Alan Hinderliter, MD
- Lindzi Torres, MS, MPH, RDN, CSSD, LD, ACSM EP-C
Planned with the Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutrition DPG