This product is free for those who attended FNCE® 2017.
Traditional ketogenic diets (KDs) are high-fat, low-carbohydrate diets utilized for treatment of epilepsy, primarily in children. Recently, interest has expanded outside epilepsy to other areas of neurologic health, as well as cancer, diabetes, obesity, and weight loss. This session will review ketogenic metabolism, provide background on areas where keto therapy has found to be effective, and shed light on where ketogenic therapy may be beneficial in future practice. General principles important for Registered Dietitian Nutritionists to know about ketogenic diet therapy across spectrum of nutrition will be reviewed – from interaction with the general public to hospital admissions.
CPE Level: 2
Learning Codes: 5300, 5150, 2070
- Identify metabolic changes that occur with transition to a ketogenic diet and how they may impact health.
- Summarize disease states in which ketosis has been utilized or researched, and which may be benefited by the implementation of a ketogenic diet.
- Describe the basic implementation of the ketogenic diet, including determining who is a candidate, and when and how to start ketogenic therapy.
- Antoaneta Balabanov, MD
- Kelly Roehl, MS, RDN, LDN, CNSC
- Hillary Zellner, MS, RDN, LDN