This product is free for those who attended FNCE® 2018.
End-stage renal disease (ESRD) is increasingly prevalent, and it is estimated that two million Americans will require chronic dialytic therapy by 2030. Mineral and bone disorders (MBD) in these patients cause significant morbidity and even mortality, affecting the cardiovascular, musculoskeletal, and endocrine systems. Still, they are treatable with diet and a multitude of available medical therapies. This session will present these medical nutritional therapies and evidence-based best medical practices for MBD that can improve both medical outcomes and quality of life in all patients with these disorders.
CPE Level: 2
Learning Codes: 5020, 3090, 7170
- Describe the pathophysiology of metabolic bone disorders of patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD-MBD).
- Counsel patients with CKD-MBD on appropriate dietary choices to positively impact their disease.
- Recommend appropriate pharmacological management of CKD-MBD to both patients and physicians with this condition and know adverse effects of all treatments prescribed.
- Sarvnaz M. Ghavami, MS, RD, LDN
- Joshua Hundert, MD
- Melissa Prest, MS, RD, CSR, LDN