This product is free for those who attended FNCE® 2017.
This session will include the expertise of an advanced practice heart failure nurse practitioner and a dietitian/research coordinator of an Investigational New Drug (IND) trial of sodium nitrite for heart failure. The presentation will include a discussion of more intricate aspects of the pathophysiology of heart failure and how nitrites and nitrates may effect cardiovascular function and a review of dietary sources, assessment and epidemiological studies of such compounds.
CPE Level: 3
Learning Codes: 5160, 5100, 3100
- Compare the established pathophysiologic mechanisms versus the more recent understanding of the sequelae of skeletal muscle dysfunction of heart failure
- Describe two clinical trial outcomes of nitrite/nitrate interventions in patients with cardiovascular disease
- Discuss divergent physiologic effects of nitrate and nitrite, via food, water or environmental sources
- Juliet Mancino, MS, RDN, CDE, CCRC, FAND
- Karen Tarolli, MSN, ACNP-BC, CHFN
- Sharon Smalling, MPH, RD, LD