This product is free for those who attended FNCE® 2017.
Do you work with children? The Family Nutrition and Physical Activity assessment tool belongs in your practice! Learn about this screening tool to identify obesogenic family behaviors and its practical application in research, clinical, school and other community settings. The FNPA tool is an evidence-based and tested questionnaire that evaluates ten factors that are associated with pediatric overweight and obesity. Parents can easily and quickly complete the FNPA and receive real-time, personalized feedback about their child's risk of becoming obese, as well as practical steps to promote health. The first speaker will explain the validation of the FNPA and give examples of practical application in research and as a tool for assessing behavior outcomes associated with community interventions. The second speaker will give examples of using the FNPA tool in practice, including its use with school BMI screening reports and in pediatrician's offices as clinical decision support to guide preventative counseling.
CPE Level: 2
Learning Codes: 3090, 4150, 6020
- Describe the research collaboration between Iowa State and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that led to the development and validation of the Family Nutrition and Physical Activity assessment tool
- Describe one research project that has used the FNPA tool to assess childhood obesity risk factors the impact of community interventions on family behaviors.
- Describe how the FNPA tool might be used in one’s own practice to inform clinical decision support and guide preventative counseling of children to reduce risk of overweight/obesity.
- Karissa Peyer, PhD
- Lisa Bailey-Davis, DEd, RD
Moderator and Program Planner
- Rosa Hand, MS, RDN, LD, FAND