This product is free for those who attended FNCE® 2017.
Nutrition labeling initiatives at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) provide powerful tools for educating consumers in constructing healthier eating patterns. Some of the latest initiatives include the new Nutrition Facts Label, updated serving sizes, restaurant menu and vending machine labeling, Sodium Reduction Initiative, and others. These tools will improve the ability of nutrition practitioners to guide their clients in selecting healthier eating patterns. This interactive session will engage participants in identifying the specific changes to make effective use of all of the elements more fully. A wrap-up will include discussions of health and wellness trends in the food industry and implications for the role of nutrition experts.
CPE Level: 2
Learning Codes: 4030, 7050, 2070
- Describe five changes to the Nutrition Facts Label and provide the rationale for updating serving sizes
- List the goals of the Restaurant Menu and Vending Machine labeling rule
- List the ways in which the new information on the label will help clients construct a healthier eating pattern
- Elizabeth Johnson, M.S., RD
- Susan Mayne, PhD, F.A.C.E.
- Shirley Blakely, PhD, RDN