This webinar was recording live on July 15, 2020.
Enteral nutrition (EN) is an effective way to nourish patients; however, many barriers exist, real and perceived, that prevent consistent and effective delivery. Many current practices surrounding the provision and monitoring of EN are not evidenced-based, nor physiologically sound. This webinar will discuss GI physiology in the context of EN delivery to dispel many of the myths surrounding signs and symptoms of what is often referred to as "intolerance" of EN (such as diarrhea, constipation, gastric residual volumes, hyperosmolar formulas, and flow rates).
CPE Level: 1
- 8.3.6 Keeps abreast of current nutrition and dietetics knowledge and trends.
- 4.2.1 Identifies potential or real problems, issues or challenges.
- 8.1.3 Integrates knowledge of macronutrients and micronutrients for absorption, digestion and metabolism throughout the life span in practice.
- Discuss GI physiology in the context of EN delivery.
- Recognize barriers to successful enteral feeding.
- Identify common myths surrounding EN “intolerance or complications” including diarrhea, constipation, gastric residual volumes, hyperosmolar formulas, and flow rates.
Carol Rees Parrish MS, RDN
Carol Rees Parrish, MS, RDN, has 39 years of clinical experience, 30 of which have been specializing in nutrition support and GI disorders at the University of Virginia Health System. Carol founded the Medicine Nutrition Support Team in 1991, developed the GI Nutrition Clinic, and co-founded the GI Nutrition Support Training and Webinar Programs. She has been the nutrition series editor for Practical Gastroenterology since 2003. She has numerous publications and has given over 300 GI & nutrition support presentations. Carol's focus in GI and nutrition support includes short bowel syndrome, malabsorptive disorders, high output ileostomies, pancreatitis, gastroparesis and more.
Immediately following purchase, the recording will be available in the Learning Management System under the "My Courses" tab. Login to your personal dashboard at eatrightcpe.org using your Academy membership credentials to begin streaming.