This event was presented as a live webinar on November 15, 2016
This presentation will introduce the International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative framework and provide an update on awareness and implementation around the world. From 2013 a multidisciplinary, international group has been working to develop International standardised levels, names and definitions for texture modified food and thickened fluids for use in dysphagia. A common language provides increased safety for individuals with dysphagia.
The project has been conducted over four stages:
- Commencing with reviewing existing national published standards.
- Surveying stakeholders for their needs of an international standardised terminology.
- A systematic review of the literature to support the use of texture modified foods and thickened liquids.
- Stakeholder consultation of the draft framework that was released for public comment in May 2015.
The IDDSI standards are suitable for use with clients of all ages, in all care settings and across cultures. This presentation will introduce the IDDSI standards and explain how the International Standards map with existing standards.
The presentation will include learnings from trials of the new standards in pilot sites. It will also address implementation strategies based on experiences from other countries that have implemented national dysphagia diets.
CPE: 1.5 hours
- Outline the IDDSI International framework.
- Describe how the new IDDSI International standards map to the various terminologies and existing standards using examples across care settings and client groups.
- List the strategies to implementation of the new standards based on experiences of trial sites from around the world and experiences from other countries that have implemented national terminologies.
Peter Lam, RD, CFE
Lam is the Co-chair of the International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative. Working with a team of international experts, the International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative has developed an international standardised framework for texture modified foods and thickened liquids. Prior to IDDSI, he was the lead of the Dysphagia Diet Terminology Standardization Project in Canada.
Lam is a Registered Dietitian, Professional Practice Consultant and a Credentialed Foodservice Executive in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Julie Cichero, SpThy (Hons), PhD
Cichero is Co-chair of the International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative. She led the development and publication of the 2007 Australian Standardised texture modified food and thickened liquid terminology. Cicheor is a Speech Pathologist, Dysphagia Research and Education Consultant and Adjunct Professor in Brisbane, Australia. She has published more than 40 journal articles and co-authored four books.
Please note: Webinar recording and information will be sent via the Professional Development's Hightail account in 48-72 business hours.