This product is free for BHN members.
This webinar was presented live on December 3, 2020.
This webinar aims to provide an overview of how diet culture impacts Asian & Pacific Islander communities, which in turn, leads to increasing incidences of disordered eating and body image dissatisfaction. Practical tips and considerations on culturally sensitive and weight inclusive nutrition care will be offered.
CPE Level: 1
Performance Indicators: 1.3.1, 8.2.1, 8.3.2
- Define diet culture and list 2 ways on how it affects the Asians & Pacific Islanders
- Identify 3 factors that impact body images & disordered eating in Asian Pacific Islanders
- Recall 2 considerations when offering culturally competent, weight-in
Janice Chow, MS, RD, LDN
Janice Chow is a San Francisco Bay Area-based Registered Dietitian. She owns The Mindful Chow, which is a weight-inclusive, virtual nutrition counseling service that aims to empower Asians to break the cultural obsessions of body ideals and re-focus on mind-body health.
Her expertise includes:
- Comprehensive knowledge in diabetes, gut disorders and stress-induced chronic diseases
- Experience with 1:1 counseling and group wellness classes with 30+ participants
- Deep expertise in motivational interviewing techniques and behavioral change models to promote a healthier lifestyle
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population across health conditions, languages and cultural background
She obtained her Master of Science in Nutrition at Tufts University Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, and completed her dietetic internship at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, MA.