Date: November 7-11, 2021
Early Bird Registration available through October 15, 2021.
- DMNT/DNS Student Member: $19.00
- Academy Student Member: $39.00
This virtual event is hosted by Dietitians in Gluten and Gastrointestinal Disorders (DIGID), a sub-unit of Dietitians in Medical Nutrition Therapy, with Dietitians in Nutrition Support (DNS), dietetic practice groups of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The event consists of ten presentations spanning five evenings on topics ranging from IBD and SIBO, to psychogastroenterology and intestinal rehabilitation.
CPE Level: 2
Performance Indicators: 8.1.2, 8.1.3, 8.1.5, 8.3.1, 8.3.6, 8.4.4, 10.2.1, 10.2.5, 10.4.1, 12.4.6
- Describe the role of diet therapy in reduction and maintenance of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)/intestinal methanogen overgrowth (IMO).
- Devise a nutritional treatment plan for the patient with gastroparesis.
- Apply current research to personalize dietary fiber recommendations for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) patients.
- Examine three potential causes of diarrhea for patients on enteral nutrition in non-critical settings.
- Describe the recommendations for monitoring and supplementation of micronutrients for patients with altered intestinal anatomy.
- Evaluate existing food sensitivity testing, micronutrient tests, GI mapping/microbiome testing against evidence-based testing currently available.
- Identify dietary and lifestyle strategies to address GI symptoms in patients with hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome/Hypermobility Spectrum Disorder.
- Identify the two gut-brain psychotherapies with the strongest evidence support.
- Relate the surgeon's assessment of bowel anatomy to nutrient and fluid absorption to determine the need for specialized nutrition support.
- Have knowledge of current medical nutrition therapies and nutrition support practices utilized to support patients with acute pancreatitis and how to address commonly encountered feeding challenges.
Dietary Interventions for SIBO/IMO
Emma Fogt, MBA, MS, RDN, LDN, FAND
The Patient with Slow Stomach Emptying: Nutritional Implications
Carol Rees Parrish, MS, RDN
The F-Word: The Truth about Fiber and Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Colleen Webb, MS, RDN
Devil's in the Details: Enteral Nutrition and Diarrhea Management
Amanda Gilhool, MS, RDN, LDN, CNSC
Malabsorption After Surgical Resection: The RDN’s Role in Patient Management
Elizabeth Wall, MS, RDN-AP, CNSC
Food Sensitivity & Gut Microbiome Testing: Deciphering Which Diagnostic Tools to Trust to Inform Your Nutrition Practice
Lauren Cornell, MS, RDN
Hypermobility—A Common and Commonly Overlooked Condition Affecting Digestion
Cheryl Harris, MPH, RDN
The Brain-Gut Axis and Psychogastroenterology
Christina Jagielski, PhD, MPH
An Interdisciplinary Approach to Intestinal Rehabilitation in Short Bowel Syndrome
Kristen M. Roberts, PhD, RDN, LD, CNSC, FASPEN, FAND
Acute Pancreatitis: Metabolism, Inflammation, and Nutrition Support-- What, When, and How to Feed
Lauren Probstfeld, MS, RD, CNSC