This product is free for SHPN members.
This webinar was presented live on November 16, 2021.
It's our responsibility as food and nutrition professionals serving an increasingly diverse U.S. population to understand how to embrace and leverage each athlete's cultural foods to support their performance goals. This presentation will empower registered dietitian nutritionists working in sports to effectively provide culturally sensitive fueling recommendations that not only maximize an athlete's performance but also supports their health and embraces their traditional foods. We will explore a case study of one athlete's traditional plate to showcase how to effectively address and communicate sports nutrition messaging in an inclusive manner. The presentation will end with a culinary demonstration.
CPE Level: 2
Performance Indicators: 9.4.6, 1.3.9, 8.3.6
- Provide education to recognize, value and effectively address the needs of various audiences, including but not limited to culture, ethnicity, gender, race, age, body size/image, capability (rather than disability), religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, geography, education and philosophy.
- Identify and select food sources that are nutritionally sound and whole food sources of antioxidant polyphenols
- Identify best practices for pre-, during and post-workout nutrition for every and all athletes.
- Provide practical recommendations to all athletes to improve overall diet quality to support fitness and health goals.
- Provide culturally sensitive and appropriate food and nutrition recommendations for clients.
- Provide ways to embrace food cuisines among all athletes in sports nutrition setting.
Roxana Ehsani, MS, RD, CSSD, LDN
Roxana Ehsani is a board certified specialist in sports dietetics. Roxana holds over 7 years of professional experience in sports performance, supermarket dietetics, and is an experienced health media expert. She regularly appears and is being quoted in national media outlets and is one of the co-hosts of the Academy's newest podcast, Eating Right Now. Roxana holds a BS in Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise from Virginia Tech and a MS in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics from University of Pittsburgh and completed her dietetic internship at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Roxana is tri-lingual, having grown up speaking a mix of German, Farsi, and English with her family, studied Spanish in grade school and even provided nutrition counseling in Spanish at her previous role. When Roxana isn't busy spreading food and nutrition knowledge, you are likely to find her creating new recipes in her kitchen or running outside in sunny Las Vegas. Roxana has been a life-long athlete, and former collegiate athlete.