Student pricing: $10.00
This product is free for Diabetes DPG members.
Date: September 22
Time: noon - 1 p.m. (Central time)
Diabetes is a complex chronic illness with several potential pathophysiological defects. Our knowledge and understanding of these issues is expanding along with new classes of drug therapies that target these defects. As RDNs who provide MNT and Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support for those living with diabetes, it is imperative to understand the relationship of drug therapies to meal patterns and lifestyle. Join us for this comprehensive review of injectable and inhalable diabetes medications.
CPE Level: 2
- 10.4.5 Implements, initiates, or modifies nutrition-related pharmacotherapy orders that address client/patient needs.
- 10.4.6 Monitors responses and effects of nutrition-related drugs and takes required action to make modifications or adjustments to treatment plans.
- 10.4.2 Demonstrates an understanding of pharmacokinetics, absorption, clearance, metabolism, latency periods, accumulation, half-life, and routes of drug administration.
- Describe the basic defects for each type of diabetes.
- Identify the major diabetes drug classes and discuss their mode of action.
- Recognize potential side effects and interactions of the major diabetes drug classes.
Kathy Warwick RDN, LDN, CDCES
Kathy Warwick is a registered dietitian nutritionist and Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist with 40 years of experience in several areas of dietetics practice. She is owner of Professional Nutrition Consultants, LLC in Madison, Miss., providing diabetes education and support, long term care consultation, hospice consultation, wellness program services, media communications and medical-legal consultation.
Kathy speaks regularly to community and professional groups and has presented multiple national webinars. She has authored several articles and serves as a medical reviewer for Heatlhline.com and Medical News Today. Kathy has served as the editor of On the Cutting Edge, for the Diabetes Dietetic Practice Group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She is a Past-President of the Mississippi Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.