Interprofessionalism is included in ACEND's accreditation standards for all accredited programs; however, innovative interprofessional education (IPE) strategies to meet these standards are sparse. Are you an educator looking for new and original ways to integrate interprofessional knowledge and skills into your curriculum? Would you like to see your students' teamwork and communication skills with other healthcare students expand? Join this interactive lecture to learn the recipe for establishing two innovative IPE strategies: IPE journal club and IPE clinical joint visits. Through interactive activities, you will start to design these two programs, beginning with the first step of identifying key stakeholders to collaborate with. You will leave energized to return to your community and implement one or both IPE strategies with your students.
Planned with the Nutrition Educators of Healthcare Professionals Dietetic Practice Group
CPE Level: Level 2 (intermediate knowledge/experience)
- 9.3.2 Develops a variety of learning activities based on a plan of action and the needs of individuals, groups, communities and populations.
- 2.1.1 Assesses the communication needs of individuals, groups and populations to provide effective communication.
- 2.3.1 Identifies needs for and negotiates common ground with clients, inter- and intra-professional team members, and other
- Design a virtual IPE journal club that includes students from two or more different healthcare professions in order to increase students' skills in communication and teamwork
- Establish implementation plan for IPE joint visits at supervised practice sites to support student collaboration with two or more different healthcare professions in order to improve student learning and patient health outcomes
- Identify key stakeholders, including non-traditional stakeholders, to participate in IPE journal club or IPE clinical joint visits in order to implement these innovative educational strategies
- Joanne Sullivan, PhD, RDN, LDN
- Jaime Gnau, MS, RDN/LD, CHES
- Hillary L. Roberts, EdD, RDN, LD