This session provides an overview of typical Latin foods that are often prohibited in the renal diet, the best ways to include them for renal patients, and practical applications for dietitians. The speakers focus on common struggles with the renal diet and dietary barriers to compliance with Latino populations as they relate to food choices. Learners will leave the session feeling more confident in making culturally appropriate food recommendations when working with Latino patients.
CPE Level: Level 2 (intermediate knowledge/experience)
- 10.3.2 Determines factors impacting client/patient progress in meeting goals and adjusts nutrition care plans accordingly.
- 9.4.3 Adjusts teaching plans and delivery to meet the needs of specified individuals, groups and populations.
- 8.5.4 Takes into consideration client/patient choices, beliefs, food sensitivities, allergies, and accessibility and affordability of food.
- identify common food myths of renal lab abnormalities related to the Latino diet.
- Provide food and recipe recommendations that adhere to renal guidelines.
- Demonstrate ways to observe Latino diet preferences and inclusivity of cultural norms.
- Areli Gutierrez
- Ramiro Saavedra