This session identifies steps to enhance practitioner-athlete trust within face-to-face client interactions, the meal planning process and the coordination of continued support concerning cultural differences. It will coach practitioners of all levels how to communicate with cultural competence working with individual athletes, teams, and performance professionals. In addition, practitioners will be able to identify ways to customize the athlete care process in an inclusive way to decrease the occurrence of athlete pushback and perceptions of unsupportive care.
CPE Level: Level 2 (intermediate knowledge/experience)
- 1.7.4 Implements strategies and creates culturally sensitive and diverse resources to support diverse populations.
- 2.1.3 Tailors messages and communication methods to meet the needs of target audiences.
- 9.4.3 Adjusts teaching plans and delivery to meet the needs of specified individuals, groups and populations.
- Embrace the cultural variabilities between practitioner and client and identify how to effectively communicate with cultural competence.
- Define and model culturally competent steps to improve face-to-face interactions to enhance trust with diverse athletes.
- Develop culturally inclusive resources and support materials to enhance athlete compliance following nutrition counseling sessions.
- Briana Butler
- Amy Goodson