There is a growing interest among students in sports nutrition as a career; however, opportunities for high-quality sports nutrition experience within dietetic internship programs are limited. In this session, presenters offer guidance on how institutions can add value to their dietetic internship programs by creating new or improved high-quality experiences in sports nutrition.
Speakers discuss how to evaluate resources and seek out opportunities for collaboration, ways to create a positive student intern and preceptor experience, and examples of sports nutrition projects that meet core competencies and prepare students for entry-level positions in the field of sports nutrition.
CPE Level: Level 2 (intermediate knowledge/experience)
- 3.2.4 Encourages others to engage in personal and professional development activities for career growth and skill enhancement.
- 6.5.1 Develops program goals, objectives and student learning outcomes that clearly define programs and student expectations.
- 6.6.1 Makes decisions about the design and development of curricula by applying knowledge, understanding and skills of curriculum theory, design, development, assessment and evaluation.
- Evaluate available resources and identify stakeholders to support a meaningful sports nutrition experience
- Create a positive student learning experience that ensures readiness for an entry-level position in sports nutrition
- Design sports nutrition-specific projects and assignments that meet core competencies