Date: April 19
Time: noon – 1:00 p.m. Central
The evidence supporting increased risk for poor outcomes (increased incidence of second primary breast cancer and overall mortality) in breast cancer patients with overweight, obese body mass indexes has been well documented (Azard, 2014; Chan, 2014; World Cancer Research Find, 2018). The existing high rates of overweight/obesity among American women, and the common occurrence of weight gain following a breast cancer diagnosis, justify interventions to support successful weight loss to a healthy body weight range. Certified Specialist in Oncology Lauren Fay will review a comprehensive approach backed by evidence-based research that assists women diagnosed with breast cancer to optimize their body composition and achieve weight loss. Lauren will review current research-supported recommendations for diet, physical activity, and cognitive behavioral therapy techniques that result in success, as well as resources to apply these techniques.
CPE Level: 2
- 8.1 Interprets and applies current food and nutrition science and principles in dietetics practice.
- 8.2 Recognizes and respects the physical, social, cultural, institutional and economic environments of the individual, group, community and population in practice.
- 9.1 Recognizes and applies education and learning theories and principles in practice.
- Identify the challenges with weight management unique to breast cancer survivors
- Understand evidence-based approaches to assist breast cancer survivors in achieving an optimal body composition
- Identify opportunities for future research where evidence-based guidance is lacking
Lauren Fay, RD-AP, CSO, CNSC is the clinical nutrition manager at Inova Schar Cancer Institute & Life with Cancer in Fairfax, VA. She obtained her Bachelor’s degree in nutrition science at James Madison University, where she won the Dorothy Rowe Dietetic Award, and her Master’s degree in public health with a concentration in dietetics at George Mason University. Lauren is a Certified Specialist in Oncology and an Advanced Practitioner in Clinical Nutrition with over 13 years of experience in oncology nutrition at all levels of clinical care, and she has spoken on a variety of oncology nutrition topics at conferences and events across the country.