This product is free for FCP members.
This article will provide Food & Culinary Professionals (FCP) members with the key information they need regarding FDA's recent food labeling updates, while also providing an overview of the National Bioengineered Food Disclosure Standard (NBFDS) released by the USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS).
CPE Level: 2
Learning Need Codes: 1080, 4030, 5110, 8120
Performance Indicators: 1.5.1, 8.3.5, 11.1.4, 11.3.5, 13.2.1
- Identify key elements and implications of the recent changes to the Nutrition Facts Panels of packaged foods specifically as it relates to added sugars, dietary fiber, nutrients of public health concern and serving sizes.
- Describe FDA's recent actions to reduce sodium in the food supply and the top three food categories contributing sodium to the diet.
- Discuss the implications of the Food Allergy Safety, Treatment, Education & Research (FASTER) Act of 2021 related to the labeling of sesame as the 9th major food allergen, and the effective date for industry.
- Discuss the USDA's definition for a Bioengineered food and the required disclosures that will appear on these packages.
- Describe FDA's recent progress in redefining the use of the term "Healthy" on packaged foods and how nutrition and culinary professionals as well as the public can provide comment during this process.