The third edition of the National Kidney Diet Professional Guide and Handouts provides a fresh update and new format for this popular resource. Written and reviewed by registered dietitian nutritionists as a joint collaboration between the National Kidney Foundation Council on Renal Nutrition and the Renal Dietitians Dietetic Practice Group, this practical guide is also accompanied by eight downloadable patient handouts available in both English and Spanish.
Previously known as the National Renal Diet Professional Guide, this fully updated edition incorporates the 2020 Kidney Disease Outcomes Quality Initiative (KDOQI) nutrition guidelines and other resources into concise, practical advice useful to the new or advanced nephrology practitioner. Highlights include:
- Informative tables that summarize up-to-date nutrition recommendations for chronic kidney disease stages 1-5 and stage 5 dialysis in addition to expanded chapters on these topics
- Advice on combining care for individuals with chronic kidney disease and diabetes
- Helpful tips on providing effective nutrition counseling and education
- Practical information on nutrition diagnosis terminology and insurance coverage specific to chronic kidney disease
The full-color downloadable patient handouts will be available in English and Spanish and include:
- The Food Label and Chronic Kidney Disease
- Grocery Guide for Kidney Disease
- Potassium Fruit and Vegetable List
- Taking Control of Phosphorus
- Nutrition Tips for Chronic Kidney Disease (for People Not on Dialysis)
- Your New Protein Needs (for People Not on Dialysis)
- Resources for Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease
- Nutrition for Dialysis
Free sample pages include the Introduction, two chapters and one handout.