Brought to you by the Center for Lifelong Learning with a special thank you to the content writers and presenters, Wendy Phillips, MS, RD, CD, CNSC, CLE, NWCC, FAND and Lisa Eaton Wright, MS, RD, LD.
While most individuals would agree that lobbying seems daunting, grassroots advocacy is friendly and can be done by anyone. The basic steps of effective grassroots advocacy will be showcased in this session along with tips and resources for getting started. This session will emphasize how to communicate with policy makers and deliver effective messages.
CPE Level: 2
- 2.1.1 Assesses the communication needs of the individual, customer or population.
- 2.1.3 Tailors message to meet the needs of the target audience.
- 3.2.6 Communicates with policymakers to influence decisions that impact advancement of the profession.
- Explain the difference in grassroots advocacy and professional lobbying and debunk employer-related myths surrounding who can advocate.
- Discuss at least three routes of communication used in grassroots advocacy and their effectiveness (i.e., letters, emails, phone calls, in-person meetings, town meetings, social media, etc.)
- State the key steps in conducting an effective meeting with a member of Congress whether via telephone, in person or by video conferencing.
This e-learning self-study includes web links and resources for additional Online Learning opportunities.
The Academy's Certificate of Training program provides in-depth instruction on broad areas of interest in the realm of nutrition and dietetics, with the goal of expanding knowledge, skills and/or competencies. Each Certificate of Training program consists of individual modules that are deep dives on specific aspects of a topic area; taken collectively, they provide the most comprehensive overview of the topic. Learners must complete all modules to receive the final Certificate.
This product is approved for individual use only. Only the registered participant is eligible for continuing professional education units.
Immediately following the purchase, you will have access to this product in your personal eatrightcpe.org dashboard.