Student Member Price: $10.00
This educational session will equip healthcare professionals with the tools needed to effectively and proactively manage enteral nutrition (EN) consumers interested in or using blenderized tube feeding (BTF). Participants will review demonstrations of BTF preparation, build a basic BTF recipe, and observe administration of BTF via bolus, gravity, and pump methods. Additionally, participants will navigate food safety issues associated with home blending and explore the current conflicting research about microbial contamination in commercial formula and blenderized tube feeding. Commercial blenderized formulas will also be reviewed.
CPE Level: Level 3 (advanced knowledge/experience)
- 8.5.2 Develops or modifies recipes, menus, and meals using sensory perception and other food components
- 7.2.5 Develops, implements and adheres to policies and
procedures to optimize food and water safety.
- 10.2.7 Performs calculations to determine nutritional requirements by
identifying and utilizing patient-appropriate formula.
- Summarize the research findings on BTF including safety and efficacy with particular attention to microbial contamination concerns.
- Create a basic BTF recipe with considerations for age, volume, consistency, microbial concerns, and nutritional adequacy.
- Describe administration of BTF recipes through enteral access devices (EAD) using syringes, the bFed system, gravity feeding bags, enteral pumps.
- Teresa Johnson
- Shawna Walker