This session explores strategies employed to accelerate progress in reducing hunger in the United States, with a focus on their replicability and applicability on a global scale. Speakers discusses their nontraditional career paths and the valuable work they are doing to combat hunger and malnutrition through innovative community initiatives, research, and the improvement of food systems.
Winona Bynum, RDN, PMP, provides an in-depth look at the impactful work carried out by the Detroit Food Policy Council, showcasing how it effectively reduces food insecurity in Detroit and serves as a model for other urban food policy councils. Allison Yoder, MA, RDN, will discuss the vital role of retail dietitians in addressing hunger within their communities, highlighting exciting new initiatives that can be replicated globally. Furthermore, Betsy Anderson Steeves, PhD, RDN, will outline the research strategies supporting the advancement of food assistance programs.
By viewing this session, you will gain valuable insights into how nutrition and dietetics professionals can forge nontraditional career paths to create a significant impact, amplifying the voices of RDNs/NDTRs in the fight against hunger and malnutrition.
CPE Level: Level 1 (basic knowledge/experience)
- 3.2.1 Advocates for and influences local, federal and global nutrition and health policy to promote health and well-being of individuals, communities and populations.
- 12.1.1 Advocates for and promotes food and nutrition programs and resources to address issues of food insecurity, nutritional health and overall health and wellness.
- 12.1.2 Leads or participates in the development of food and health policies.
- Differentiate the various roles that RDNs/NDTRs can assume in reducing hunger.
- Discuss current strategies utilized to advance food security.
- Identify opportunities within your current role to actively support food security, demonstrating the ability to generate actionable ideas and plans for implementation.
- Winona Bynum
- Betsy Anderson Steeves
- Allison Yoder