Student Member Price: $10.00
The Policy and Advocacy Certificate of Training consists of four modules that prepare nutrition professionals to advocate for policy change across all levels of government. Completion of the certificate program will ensure that advocates have the core knowledge needed to communicate effective messages to a wide range of policy makers with varied opinions and positions.
This Certificate Program includes the following modules:
Policy and Advocacy Module 1 - Advocacy 101
- Developers: Karen Ehrens, RD, LRD and Laura Perdue, MPH, RDN
- Describe the foundation of the legislative process.
- Identify the best-practice methods to effectively advocate on nutrition issues.
- Implement various strategies to inform and influence food policy.
Policy and Advocacy Module 2 - Federal and State Policy
- Developers: Missy Cody, PhD, RDN and Lauri Wright, PhD, RDN
- Distinguish between federal and state nutrition programs.
- Describe the federal bills containing major nutrition programs.
- Define how advocacy is used to change policy at all levels of government.
Policy and Advocacy Module 3 - Effective Grassroots Advocacy
- Developers: Wendy Phillips, MS, RD, CD, CNSC, CLE, NWCC, FAND and Lisa Eaton Wright, MS, RD, LD
- Explain the difference in grassroots advocacy and professional lobbying and debunk employer-related myths surrounding who can advocate.
- Discuss at least three routes of communication used in grassroots advocacy and their effectiveness (i.e., letters, emails, phone calls, in-person meetings, town meetings, social media, etc.).
- State the key steps in conducting an effective meeting with a member of Congress whether via telephone, in person or by video conferencing.
Policy and Advocacy Module 4 - Relationship Building Storytelling and Communication
- Developers: Nancy Z. Farrell Allen, MS, RDN, FAND and Patty Keane, MS, RDN
- Relate the importance of relationship building with members of Congress.
- Recite basic steps in effective "storytelling".
- Craft a succinct yet effective story suitable for sharing with policymakers.
This product is approved for individual use only. Only the registered participant is eligible for continuing professional education units.
Immediately following the purchase, you will have access to this product in your personal eatrightCPE.org dashboard.