This webinar was presented live on August 17, 2021
This webinar delves into the important role of the thyroid in nutrition care, including medication management and the unique dietary needs for hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, and thyroid cancer. You will gain an understanding of the challenges associated with weight management and common symptoms that patients with thyroid disease present with. Registered dietitian nutritionists (RDNs) discuss strategies for how to best assist within the scope of nutrition care, including the identification of specific foods and food components that impact thyroid health. The webinar also lists the components of a thyroid hormone panel and controversies related to their assessment, identifies various thyroid medications for hypo- and hyperthyroidism, and explores food-drug interactions and controversies. By the end of this webinar, you will be able to recognize thyroid-related patient symptomatology as it pertains to nutrition care, weight management and overall health.
CPE Level: 2
- 10.4.2 Applies knowledge of pharmacotherapy and its effect on nutrient absorption, utilization and metabolism when developing and/or revising the plan of care.
- 8.1.1 Interprets and applies evidence-based comparative standards for determining nutritional needs.
- 8.1.4 Demonstrates knowledge of nutrient requirements throughout the life span and their role in health promotion and disease management.
- List the components of a thyroid hormone panel and controversies related to their assessment
- Identify various thyroid medications for hypo- and hyperthyroidism, food-drug interactions, and controversies
- Identify specific foods and food components impacting thyroid health
- Recognize thyroid-related patient symptomatology as it pertains to nutrition care, weight management and overall health
Nicole Anziani MS, RD, CDN, CDCES
Nicole Anziani is a registered dietitian licensed by New York, a certified diabetes care and education specialist, and certified as a personal trainer, group fitness instructor, Ayurvedic wellness counselor, and reiki practitioner. As a thyroid cancer survivor, Anziani's passion and mission is to make nutrition care information for thyroid conditions easily accessible to practitioners and patients. She has written the first evidence-based publication on nutrition for thyroid disease published by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in May, 2020, entitled: The Health Professional’s Guide to Nutrition Management of Thyroid Disease. Born and raised in Richmond, Calif., Anziani now lives and works remotely via Brooklyn, N.Y.