This webinar was presented live on April 9, 2020.
The purpose of this webinar is to learn from 3 Academy RD/RDN members with disabilities as they share their stories and answer the following questions:
- Describe your disability, if you were born with it or acquired it later, and how it affects you.
- Why did you choose the profession of nutrition and dietetics and how long have you been an RD?
- Tell us about your current professional position and any accommodations you use for it.
- Describe one example of your success as a RD/RDN of which you are especially proud.
- What can RD/RDNs with disabilities uniquely provide to the dietetics profession?
- How can RD/RDNs without disabilities interact and work more effectively with RD/RDNs with disabilities?
- How has being an Academy member benefited your career?
Attendees will have the opportunity to ask their own questions. The Moderator (Neva Cochran, MS, RDN, LD, FAND) will include the Academy's Diversity and Inclusion Statement, and statistics on diversity among the USA and Academy. The webinar will include a Campaign for Disability Employment PSA (www.whatcanyoudocampaign.org/psa-campaigns) which challenges misconceptions about employing people with disabilities and reinforce roles we all play to foster an inclusive workforce that benefits everyone. The final screen will encourage non-members to email email@example.com to obtain more information about joining the Academy. The webinar will be close-captioned.
Funded by an Academy Diversity Mini-Grant to the Research DPG
CPE Level: 2
Performance Indicators: 1.1.4, 3.2.1, 4.2.7
- List three worksite accommodations that RD/RDNs with disabilities can use.
- Describe two benefits that RD/RDNs with disabilities can uniquely provide to the profession.
- Explain two ways that RD/RDNs without disabilities can interact and work more effectively with RD/RDNs with disabilities.
Suzanne (Suzi) Baxter, PhD, RD, LD, FADA, FAND
Affiliate Research Professor
University of South Carolina
Liz Dunn, MS, RD, LDN
Research Associate, University of Pittsburgh
Member, Texas Stampede Wheelchair Rugby Team
Jordan Griffing, MS, RD, LD, CNSC
Driscoll Children’s Hospital
Neva Cochran, MS, RDN, LD, FAND