This product is free for SHPN members.
This webinar was presented live on August 9, 2022.
Many sports dietitians choose not to pursue an insurance-based practice model due to the lack of information on the potential reimbursement rates and hassle of the process. Many rely on the answers from other RD’s in online forums to base such decisions. This event will help clear up any misinformation about insurance reimbursement for the sports RD by providing an understanding of the credentialing process as well as the billing process. A thorough investigation of insurance carriers will be provided to help the sports RD be able to objectively decipher if an insurance model of pay would be the best option for their practice. Attendees will leave being able to identify potential carriers, codes, number of visits, and potential package options utilizing insurance reimbursement.
CPE Level: 1
Performance Indicators: 14.2.6, 14.3.5, 14.2.7
- Understand the process of credentialing and the benefits of doing so.
- Locate resources for credentialing.
- Understand the billing process and discuss how to submit claims to insurance panels.
- Identify codes commonly covered and factors to consider with insurance panels.
- Identify insurance carriers with the most potential for reimbursement for the sports RD.
- Understand the average reimbursement rates seen over the last year.
- Discuss the pros and cons of billing insurance.
- Discuss the potential for utilizing package options alongside insurance reimbursement.
Christa Smith, MCN, RDN, LD
Christa is an insurance-based Registered Dietitian specializing in Sports and Human Performance. She holds a Master of Clinical Nutrition and is currently studying with the International Olympic Committee to complete the Diploma in Sports Nutrition. Currently Christa owns and operates a private practice, serves as an adjunct instructor for Cedarville University, and is a consultant sports dietitian for several practices. Christa enjoys being with her family, exercising, playing sports, and cooking.