Making Choices is designed to help the health care professional counsel clients who have both diabetes (type 1 or type 2) and chronic kidney disease (CKD) stage 3 or 4.
The toolkit is comprised of the following:
- A Practitioner's Guide, which outlines the macro- and micronutrient needs of people with diabetes and CKD, discusses nutrition assessment, provides tips for determining diet recommendations and for using the client education handouts, and lists professional resources for RDNs.
- Two versions of the Making Choices: Meal Planning for People with Diabetes and Chronic Kidney Disease Stages 3 and 4: One has a comprehensive introduction that includes basic information on diabetes management as well as considerations for CKD. The other version has a briefer introduction intended for clients who are already knowledgeable about carbohydrate counting. Both versions include detailed food lists, which help clients plan meals.
- Supplementary patient education handouts on:
- Carbohydrate-Containing Foods
- Snacks and Beverages with Carbohydrate
- Lower-Sodium Food Choices
- Phosphate Additives
- How to Choose a Low-Phosphorus Soft Drink
- How to Choose a Cereal
- Fiber and Chronic Kidney Disease
- Tips for People Who Must Restrict Fluids
- Vegetarian Protein Foods
- Resources for Patients
Please note: Academy eBooks require downloading the eatright eReader app. Access to the eBooks is for single-use only. Multiple-user access is not available.
Licensing and Permissions
- Would you like permission to reprint a portion of this copyrighted publication for a book, presentation or course? Complete and return this form for permissions, licensing and commercial rights.