Join the Academy's Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access (IDEA) Committee's 2022-2023 Chair, Judith Rodriguez, PhD, RDN, LDN, FADA, FAND, as she introduces three short interactive courses that focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, unconscious bias and the differences between cultural competency and cultural humility. The courses serve to clarify some unfamiliar terms and ideas surrounding IDEA, or, for those already familiar with them, serve as helpful reminders to continually try to adjust behaviors to respond to the specific needs of others. After all, acknowledging and respecting an individual’s culture and background goes a long way toward making them feel welcome, and encourages them to speak freely and openly about their perspectives and lifestyle.
The CPE associated with this activity expires on 05/31/2024.
CPE Level: Level 1
- Defining Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion: Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Defined
- Unconscious Bias
- Cultural Competency & Humility
- 1.7.1 Recognizes and respects cultural and racial diverse backgrounds to effectively interact and build meaningful relationships with others (e.g., clients, employees, inter- and intra-professional team members and community and professional groups).
- 1.1.1 Participates and documents engagement in professional development activities to maintain and enhance competence.
- 1.7.3 Develops awareness of one's own personal beliefs and values to inform and reduce biases.
- Describe terms such as diversity, equity, inclusion, unconscious bias, cultural competency and cultural humility.
- Identify how received ideas and stereotypes can negatively affect interactions, and how to adjust thinking to be less general and more inclusive.
- Build an understanding of the ways in which cultural knowledge can improve behaviors and practices.