This title is also available as an eBook.
"This text provides a foundation to understand the complexity and breadth of diabetes during pregnancy, offering clear, concise guidance—not only the details on what to do but also a clear understanding of the pathophysiology underlying the recommendations. A gem of the text is the case studies, providing real-life situations and demonstrating clearly the implementation and outcomes." – Catherine Y. Spong, MD, Professor and Vice Chair, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chief, Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Gillette Professorship in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Written and reviewed by an interdisciplinary team of registered dietitian nutritionists, physicians, nurses, and pharmacists, this resource provides guidance to health professionals caring for pregnant patients with diabetes, including gestational, type 1, and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Topics addressed include:
Free sample pages
- Demographics of diabetes and pregnancy and a historical overview of diabetes and pregnancy management
- Physiological changes in pregnancies complicated by diabetes
- Diabetes management from preconception counseling and care for patients with preexisting diabetes to antepartum and postpartum care for all types of diabetes
- Medication use during pregnancy
- Culture and health literacy in diabetes care
- Four case studies illustrating practical guidance of the nutrition care for different types of diabetes during pregnancy
- Appendixes with a glossary of terms, sample food log, herbal supplements to avoid during pregnancy, sample prenatal questionnaire in English and Spanish, and more
include the table of contents, preface, sample chapter, index and more.
Are you a dietetics educator who has or is considering adopting Health Professional's Guide to Nutrition, Diabetes, and Pregnancy, 1st Ed. for a course you teach? Request a complimentary review copy of the book.
Licensing and Permissions
Would you like permission to reprint a portion of this copyrighted publication for a book, presentation or course?
Complete and return this form for permissions, licensing and commercial rights.